Serving Clients In Boulder And Denver, Across The U.S., And Worldwide
Citizenship attorneys at Battan Alpert Hutchings LLP provide legal advice and representation for immigration issues related to permanent residency and citizenship. These issues can be complicated and frustrating. Rely on experience to guide you through the immigration process, step by step. Contact a Colorado immigration lawyer.
Applying For U.S. Citizenship
Almost all persons who are born in the United States are U.S. citizens. Certain other people who are born abroad may be U.S. citizens if their parents and/or grandparents were U.S. citizens and certain requirements are met. If you were born abroad and you have parents or grandparents who were or are U.S. citizens, you should contact our office to see if you derived U.S. citizenship from your parents.
Other individuals may apply for U.S. citizenship. To qualify for naturalization, a person must meet certain criteria including the following:
- Must be a lawful permanent resident
- Must be 18 years old
- Must be a resident continuously for five years subsequent to lawful permanent resident status. If married to a U.S. citizen, residence requirement is three years if the parties are still married and living together.
- Must have resided for at least three months within the state in which the petition was filed
- Must be physically present in the U.S. for at least one-half of the five years (or one-half of three years if the applicant is the spouse of a U.S. Citizen)
- Must have resided continuously within the U.S. from the date the application was filed up to the time of admission to citizenship
- Must not be absent from the U.S. for a continuous period of more than one year during the periods for which continuous residence is required
- Must be a person of good moral character for the period for which residence is required
There are some qualifications and exceptions to all of the above requirements. Please remember that this information is not complete. To determine if you meet the qualifications to apply for naturalization, contact Colorado immigration firm Battan Alpert Hutchings LLP. We are dedicated to helping you successfully navigate the immigration process.
Our immigration law firm serves clients in Boulder, Denver, Aurora, Arvada, Lakewood, Broomfield, Brighton, Longmont, Fort Collins, Greeley, Centennial, Golden and Westminster, including Boulder County, Adams County, Arapahoe County, Jefferson County and Douglas County.
We also assist immigration law clients throughout the United States and around the world, including Argentina, Nepal, Canada, the European Union, Mexico, Philippines, Tibet, India and China.